Formula Atlantic Wing adjustments

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Formula Atlantic Wing adjustments
From: JISBELLJR@mail.utexas.edu (James A. Isbell)
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 1995 20:25:15 -0600
I have a Lola T540 that has been modified first to Super V and then to
Atlantic.  The wing it now sports does not look like the current single
plane wings used by FA.  It looks something like this:

     (ASCII leaves alot to be desired when doing graphics!!)

    |                                               *  |
    |                                             * *  |
    |                                           3* *   |
    |                                           * *    |
    |                                           **     |
    |                                         *        |
    |                                      * *         |
    |                                  2*  *           |
    |                                 *  *             |
    |                   1            ***               |
    |        *************************                 |
    |         *              ******                    |
    |           ************                           |

There are three horizontal planes labeled in this drawing as 1,2, and 3.
The plane 1 is about 10 inches from leading edge to trailing edge and is
virtualy horizontal.  Plane 2 is 6.5 inches front to back and is at an
attack angle of about -20 degrees and the third plane is about 6.5 inches
front to back at an attack angle of about -45 degrees.  There is a slight
gap between the planes of about 1/2" so that none of them are stalled.

My question is, "How do I adjust this wing for minimum down force? And I
hope, minimum drag."

I ran the car the first time without any aerodynamics so I could get used to
the car with no aerodynamics on it.  I am now going to add the wing but I
want to start with minimum effect and graduate to more as I see what it
does.  Then as the rear wing begins to force the need for it I will add the
front spoiler and the side pods.

There is no real adjustment available on the planes so I intend to add some
mounting holes so I can adjust the planes.  I would just leave it as I found
it except that the PO was using it for AutoCross so I am sure that on a
track the down force on that wing will be far too much on the straight since
I will be reaching much greater speeds than he did.  I would hate to arrive
at turn #1 with the front wheels in the air!

Any comments on how you would do it will be greatfully accepted.
--
                                                            Jim

  "Better an outlaw than not free."
                         Nance O'Neil