Re: ESPN Palm Springs coverage

To: MHKitchen@aol.com
Subject: Re: ESPN Palm Springs coverage
From: simon@LSIL.COM (Simon Favre)
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 96 11:04:43 PST
I was also a bit dismayed at the repeated crash coverage. It seemed
that's their idea of what racing action is. I did see several incidents
that made me think VARA is grouping cars that really shouldn't be on
the track together, and that VARA racers are also putting their cars in
places that makes it more dangerous. The Alfa and the Lotus should
probably not have been on the track together, even if their speed
potential is comparable. It's the crash damage potential that bothers
me. My Formula Junior weighs about 1000 pounds. I do NOT want to be out
on the track with something that weighs 2 or 3 times as much. The top
of my bodywork comes up to about the door handle on some of these cars.
Visibility is also an issue. I saw a sports racer (Lotus?) get squeezed
off track by a big Vette. Why were they out there together, and why was
the tiny sports racer on the inside of the Vette in the turn? It looked
like the Vette never even saw him.

FYI, it would be nice to get uncut tapes, but I suspect they are all on
pro-quality Betacam SP media. The kind of deck needed to edit this
stuff down costs big bux. I know people at 2 places that have this
capability, but they don't owe me any favors. ;=)