Re: ESPN Palm Springs coverage

To: OLD67@aol.com
Subject: Re: ESPN Palm Springs coverage
From: simon@LSIL.COM (Simon Favre)
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 96 16:32:45 PST
Ely, You addressed comments to Myles, but my name ended up in the To:
line. What was that about red mist? ;=)

I accept Myles explanation that the Lotus-Vette shunt was in a USRRC
recreation that would have run these cars together anyway. I also agree
with your view that the Lotus was way out of shape, and dammned lucky.
The Brian Redman shunt was pure masterful driving on his part. The
Alfa-Lotus smash-up may have been the conclusion of their interview of
the Doctor, but they didn't have to use it as a teaser 2 or 3 times
either. I agree with Myles about the horsecollars. I wear one, too. I
also agree that when there are car differences, all the drivers need to
keep their heads glued on straight, and be more cautious than usual,
particularly when they are in a concrete corridor. It did not look to
me like they were being that careful at Palm Springs.

CSRG has mixed cars of varying types, and will probably continue to do
so. Some match-ups really make no sense, though. They once had me out
on the course in an under-powered Formula Junior at the same time as an
8 liter Can-Am car! This was in a regular heat, not a scratch race or
the Enduro. They figured out a way to get more Formula cars to show up,
so it hasn't happened again. I liked the 6 group format CSRG ran at
Thunder Hill. I think there's a place for everybody out there, as long
as you keep your cool.

I quite agree about driving to the limit of the course, and/or the
tires, whichever is less! It looked to me like the VARA people were
just running too hot for that course. Maybe they still need some
attitude adjustment. When I ran at Reno between hay bales, I never got
the car into 4th. I jokingly called it an Autocross course. The cars
that did try to go flat out tested the deformation characteristics of
wet hay. ;=(