Re: ESPN Palm Springs coverage

To: WmSeverin@aol.com
Subject: Re: ESPN Palm Springs coverage
From: simon@LSIL.COM (Simon Favre)
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 96 13:12:51 PST
I quite agree. That Turn 1 at Palm Springs looked viciously tight.
Having "tested" the ample runoff areas at Thunder Hill, I would also be
reluctant to run a rare car on a street track like Palm Springs. By
contrast, the CSRG Reno Hilton event had a very wide track for a
temporary course. I believe it was at least 50' wide at every point.
They used hay bales for most of the track, with concrete barriers
behind the hay in critical areas. The hay was, unfortunately, wet, so
it didn't yield too well. Laguna and Sears can be pretty scary, but I
have seen pretty spectacular mistakes at Thunder Hill result in little
more than injured pride. ;=)

> From WmSeverin@aol.com Tue Jan  2 12:56:50 1996
> From: WmSeverin@aol.com
> Date: Tue, 2 Jan 1996 15:04:27 -0500
> To: simon@lsil.com, MHKitchen@aol.com
> Cc: vintage-race@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: ESPN Palm Springs coverage
>
> What "struck" me, (pardon the pun), was the extremely poor layout that seems
> typical of many of these concrete barricaded temporary street tracks.
> Granted, this opinion is only based on a television vantage point, but it's
> obvious that there wasn't much in the way of safe runoff areas.
... {SNIP}