dual master brake cylinders -Reply

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net, page@ra.isisnet.com
Subject: dual master brake cylinders -Reply
From: Brian Evans <BEVANS@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 13:32:06 -0500
you can get residual pressure valves from the stock car type racing
shops - they often use them with certain types of brake calibers that
have seals that pull the pistons back off the discs a little bit.

i bet your problem is loose wheel bearings, so some similar fault,
allowing the front discs to run out under the high load of a high speed
corner.  This would cause the pads to recede and cause a low pedal on
the next application.  i caution against residual pressure valves with any
British front caliper designs - one guy in our club had the front brakes
almost catch fire after he tried that trick.

Many of us in VARAC have used 1972 vintage Datsun 510 master
cylinders with varying success - the one in my Cooper S works great
but I'm having trouble with the one in my MG midget.  I know a guy with
one in a TR4 (non-IRS) and he's very happy.

Brian Evans