RE: Garage Floor Paint

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Garage Floor Paint
From: "Ted Rodgers" <Rodgers356@classic.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 97 17:07:26 UT
This past summer I had my garage floor painted with the epoxy sold by Griot's
Garage.  It's expensive, but doing the work is so time consuming, that the
price of paint is almost irrelevant, and you only want to do it once.

It stands up very well to all sorts of chemicals, including brake fluid.
Dropping heavy tools on it does chip it, though.

The preparation included a thorough cleaning, followed by an acid etch, a
pressure wash, a second acid etch and a thorough rinse.  This was followed by
two coats of epoxy, with a one day drying period between coats.  After that
several days (more if lower temperatures) for drying, then I could finally
move all my stuff back into the garage.  The actual process, using
professional painters who know how to read and heed directions was about 3
days for a 1000 sq. ft. garage.  All in all, I was without a garage for about
3 weeks, including drying time and moving all my stuff.

At a previous house I used the epoxy sold by Sears.  As with all of their
products I have recently purchased their quality is no longer what it used to
be, and within months the tires had pulled up the paint.  Don't even consider
the crap they sell.

Ted Rodgers