Re: lack of interest

To: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Subject: Re: lack of interest
From: "John A. Rollins" <nobozos@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 15:43:26 -0800
Wm. Severin Thompson wrote:

> TO all,
>
> I don't think there's a lack of interest here... it's just that we're
> all settling in to our winter " without racing" depression mode. Then
> there's the "how am I gonna knock down the Visa balance (lot's o' race
> parts)  in time for Christmas" mode. You think about updating your web
> site <http://www.thicko.com> over the Thanksgiving holiday.

Speak for yourself; here's a real dilema for you.  Our "winter break
without racing" has now reduced itself to basically the month of
December.  Living in Florida has SOME disadvantages.  Our 1998 SCCA
Vintage racing season begins this year on January 1 (that's right, some
of us don't get to watch the endless stream of football jerseys... even
though we're Seminoles!!!) with practice and qualifying as a support
group for the "Longest Night" 24-hour enduro at Moroso Motorsports Park
in West Palm Beach.  That means we get to register and tech on New
Year's Eve... maybe I'll skip the morning warmup.

After some "club" events later in January, the season shifts into gear
with the HSR and SVRA events adding to the SCCA Vintage events beginning
with the first weekend in February and lasting through April!  Ends up
being more events than you can reasonably afford (in terms of both time
and funds) so you have to end up choosing the group/events that most
interest you.  (This is easier for some of the HSR car owners as their
choices are limited due to the extent of over-preparation - could they
be on to something?)  All this keeps our "free" time to a minimum,
unlike the "Nawtherners" that seem to have more than enough time to wax
poetic/philosophical on racing issues.  Don't get me wrong - SOMEone has
to start the threads!!!

Anyway, that means we are busy already preparing the cars for the 1998
season and don't even get the chance to pay the Visa bill down -
somehow, the Vintage prize money doesn't seem to cover it!

> About January, things start looking up... the race season looms on the
> horizon. You start planning the race season schedule. The Porsche guys
> go out and buy all new cheater parts.

You must be talking about the 356 drivers - I drive a 911 and have no
such parts (they all say "Porsche" on them so they MUST be stock...)!

>The Brit guys make major buys in
> Oil Dri for the space where the race cars's been hibernating all winter.

If only this were true...

> The Alfa guys try to figure out why it costs $30,000 to build a race car
> that everyone couldn't sell in the offseason for $13K. The AntiPasto....
> I mean MonoPosto guys consider other methods of elevating themselves
> from the "riff raff".
>
> Yadayadayada...
>
> WST
> Team Thicko
> Flounder
> SmartAss Poster child

Actually, I appreciate a little levity mixed with the suggestions and
rants.  It adds diversity and increases the enjoyment level.  Keep up
the interest!!

*8o)

John A. Rollins, Vintage Race Coordinator
Florida Region, SCCA

http://www.netcom.com/~nobozos/