Re: lack of interest

To: nobozos@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: lack of interest
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 16:38:28 -0600
John,

Actually, this winter is pretty packed with racing activities. I've been
invited to race at LeMans in June of 1998 during the 24 hour race
weekend. It's a support race, 1 hour, 70 car all Healey field in honor
of the 100th anniversary of Donald Healey's birth. I'm waiting on the
final entry list as all entries had to be in by Nov. 15th. As far as I
know, I'm the only Sprite guy from the US that got an invite. My friend
Tom Kovacs of Fourintune will be providing support for myself, Phil
Coombs, John Colgate (ex-works, LeMans & Sebring) and one other US car.
In addition, it's my understanding the Mike Salter of Canada will be
sending over his 100S to race.

Last word I heard was a field of 10 100S's, 10 100-4s, 30 100-6/3000's,
10 Sprites, and 10 Healeys (Silverstones, Nash Healeys, etc.) Every
works car that ever ran at LeMans and is in race trim will be there.
Every ex-works driver that's not in a rest home and can qualify for an
FIA Historic license will be driving.

I'm racing a car known as "the Bishop". It's a time capsule Stage V
tuned Sprite that was modified by the Donald Healey Motor CO. when new,
then sold and raced from day 1.  It's story can be found on my web
site... the particular page starts at
<http://www.thicko.com/bishop.htm>. The Stage V tuning was an offshoot
of the early Sebring Sprite factory cars that raced in '58 & '59. Not
very radical, not very fast, but built to last. Since the LeMans Sprites
of the mid to late '60s were capable of 150 mph, and the big Healey's
are gearing for 140 mph for the 8.2 mile course, I'm sure things will be
exciting. Historic racing across the pond can get to be a little more
serious than what we put up with. I witnessed this as one of the
organizers of the Healey Challenge of 1990, that was 9 British and one
German Healey drivers ship cars to the US for a race series against the
Americans.

I had to get FIA identity papers for the car all in order, as all
entries must submit this documentation. This was an experience.

One thing that bears discussion is FIA Historic licensing for drivers. I
have a VMC license. The FIA Historic is issued through SCCA and FIA in
the US. it would seem that some cooperation between VMC and these other
organizations in recognizing each others credentials might be a good
idea. Love to hear some discussion on this.

The fellow who's organizing the race is a Brit by the name of Charles
Matthews. Info on the event can be found at
<http://home.clara.net/matthews/lemans.htm>. They're seeking major
sponsorship that would allow them to refund our $800+ entry fee, help
with hotel and car shipping costs. Hope they can work it out.

This is a once and a lifetime opportunity for me and many of us
participating. It's also quite expensive as you can imagine. So my
winter months this year are being spent preparing the car along with my
Team Thicko teamates. Tom Colby, of Speedwell in California has offered
to help with some items I need. Victory Lane has indicated they'd like
to do a story on this adventure... so the Team Thicko Tireless
Self-Promotion continues to pay off.

Send sponsors my way!

WST
Team Thicko