Re: Bugeye Sprites w/ 1275cc at SVRA

To: Wrtr@aol.com
Subject: Re: Bugeye Sprites w/ 1275cc at SVRA
From: Oddcarnut@aol.com
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 21:54:29 -0500 (EST)

Kevin,

I have to agree with you that it is fun running a really vintage prepped car.
 The money and preparation thrown at many small bore cars today is insane.
 THe legit small bore cars may not be at the front but the racing among us is
often really good.
Since you've been behind the wheel of one of our favorites(the 93), you
really understand our prep level.  Randy Cook & I have been running the
various Vintage SAAB Racing Group cars for over a decade now.  My experience
is that if you don't get carried away with going fast, costs are pretty
reasonable.  Our SAAB 93 will celebrate its 10th season back on the track
next year.  Still running the same stage1.5 motor that it started with when I
drove it to Road Atlanta in 1988.  The only motor work has been 1 head gasket
& a used distributor.  Using ordinary street tires (Michelin MXL!), tires
costs are nill and they last 10 seasons.  I'd guess are entire decade has
cost less to run than many Mini/Spriget folks spend on engines for a season.

Your new Chrysler sounds like a neat project.

Cheers,

Ken Payne
Saab 93, Morgan +4, Mini