Re: Tires-No Hoosiers in VARAC

To: mra@sympatico.ca, vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Tires-No Hoosiers in VARAC
From: MHKitchen@aol.com
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 11:45:53 -0500 (EST)
WRT Hoosiers:

FYI, my understanding of CSRG's latest tire rules allow Hoosier bias ply, DOT
tires, but dissallow the newest Hoosier radials, as the tires must have a
treadwear rating greater than 0 (the Hoosier radials are rated 0, and only
have a "hint" of a tread....within 2 laps they look just like slicks!).

Personally, I tried the bias plys once and didn't care for them...although in
fairness my car has been set up for radials.  I went 2 seconds slower on them
at Laguna.  They felt very predictable, but the car grossly understeered with
them.  They also didn't seem to hold air well.  I've also heard this from
others as they tend to slow leak over time.  Some seem to like them, however.
 For comparison, I usually run BFG T/A R1's, or Toyo's, or Bridgestone
RE-71Rs, or Yoko's 008Rs (no longer available).   My fastest laps at various
tracks have been on the Bridgestones (yeah, it surprised me too), or the R1s.

Has anyone tried the Khumo's yet (not sure of the spelling???)??

Myles H. Kitchen
1965 Lotus (needing new tires for next season) Cortina Mk1 #128