Re: Re: Bugeye's & their tires

To: favres@engmail.ulinear.com, owner-vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net,
Subject: Re: Re: Bugeye's & their tires
From: S800Racer@aol.com
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 12:39:51 -0500 (EST)
        Regarding the "2 race" Dunlops.  I tried Dunlops on my car (Honda S800,
about 1500 lbs.)  I had run Yokohama radials before that. The first set I had
were the "medium" compound.  They worked well and I got about 8-10 races out
of them.  I like the way they handled (much different than the radials).
 When they wore out, I let myself get talked into a set of the "soft"
compound Dunlops.  They were great for 1 weekend.  The next race I tried to
get them through a 1.5 hour enduro.  By the end of the enduro the car was all
over the place, sliding around on the cords.  The tires were worn so far
through that after the race, the left front was losing air!  I now have 3
events (and 2 enduros) on a set of Hoosier TDs.  They seem to stick and
handle as well as the Dunlops (for 2/3 the cost) and they look like they will
get me through most of next season.
        In the grand scheme of things, I would just as soon have everyone using
harder tires.  The benefits would be long tire life, bigger drifts and slip
angles.  It would also reward driving ability and would reduce the advantage
of big horsepower.  ( I can hardly drift my small bore car with sticky tires
- just don't have the power to hold the tail out there.  It just slows down
until it's not drifting anymore)

        Doug Meis
        Team Escargot