Re: Bugeye's & their tires

To: mactds@idirect.com
Subject: Re: Bugeye's & their tires
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 09:17:00 -0500
At 05:49 PM 24/11/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi Folks,
>
>Being an/owner entrant of a Bugeye, I feel my 2-cents are worth something...
>
>We ran Dunlops for 2 races and had to throw them out. We ran Hoosiers for 9
>races and they still had a few more heat cycles left, yet we replaced them
>for security sake. The Dunlops were a stickier tire than the Hoosier. We
>have the lap times to prove it.

There's Dunlops, and then there's Dunlops!  Dunlop makes three tires that
are often used on spridgets...

L section are the current mandate from VARAC, and usually in hard compound.
They're the "rocks" refered to by some... although soft compound is also
available.

M section is what we had until a few years ago - slightly wider and lower in
section, and available in two compounds - soft, and "Formula First", which
is the spec tire for Formula First in England, and is softer than the soft
conpound.  These tires wear quite fast, and are pretty quick.  Most people
can only get two race weekends, and sometimes only one depending on the
track, on quick spridgets, although they last pretty well on Lotus Sevens.

Formula Ford front tires are also possible, and actually a very quick and
fairly long lasting tire - about the equivalent of the Hoosier 70 series in
size and quickness.  They are also available in two compounds.

Hope this clarifies some of the confusion, if any.

Brian