Re: Izuzu starter

To: JWoesvra@aol.com
Subject: Re: Izuzu starter
From: Derek Harling <derek.lola@sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 21:21:42 -0400
JWoesvra@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 98-07-21 16:46:18 EDT, gmapes@ball.com writes:
>
> << OK - what is the advantage Izuzu starter for a 1275 vs the lucas unit?
>  Is it weight, price or what?
>  Thanks
>  Glenn Mapes >>
>
> Obviously you haven't had a lot of experience with Lucas components.
>
> Jack Woehrle

Jack
I have always respected your ability and opinions -so you are probably
right about Lucas components - but I have to say that I have NEVER been
let down by Lucas - yet. This has included
 - many years of normal street driving in the UK
 - two years in the US including two Michigan winters and three trips
across the continent
 - three years of special stage rallying forests, rivers, dust etc) in
the UK and Europe
 - seven years of vintage racing the Mini (hell you built it for me
including the Lucas starter!)
 - five years with a Lola FF.

All the above with Lucas starters, ignition and switch gear.

Then I followed conventional wisdom and used a Japanese starter on my
Atlantic. Now I always carry 2-3 spares and check the starter
immediately after each track session [less frustrating that way than
finding out immediately before the next session is due to start].

Anybody out there want tu suggest I revert to the Lucas unit?

Final note - this may be a dangerous confession - my very first job was
in the Lucas switchgear factory in the north of England!!!!

Derek