Re: Izuzu starter

To: Derek Harling <derek.lola@sympatico.ca>
Subject: Re: Izuzu starter
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 08:33:29 -0400
At 09:21 PM 7/21/98 -0400, you wrote:
>JWoesvra@aol.com wrote:
>>
>> In a message dated 98-07-21 16:46:18 EDT, gmapes@ball.com writes:
>>
>> << OK - what is the advantage Izuzu starter for a 1275 vs the lucas unit?
>>  Is it weight, price or what?
>>  Thanks
>>  Glenn Mapes >>
>>
>> Obviously you haven't had a lot of experience with Lucas components.
>>
>> Jack Woehrle
>

>Jack
>I have always respected your ability and opinions -so you are probably
>right about Lucas components - but I have to say that I have NEVER been
>let down by Lucas - yet.

Derek, the rebuilt-by-lucas starter that I got for the Merlyn failed after
no more than 20 starts - the pinion end brass bushing fell out!  The Lucas
rebuild also had a ten tooth pinion gear instead of 9 tooth, which I suspect
accounts for why the ring gear on my flywheel was showing rapid wear. Even
the best Lucas starter I've tried can barely turn over the engine - what do
you use on your BDA?

Brian

Cheers, brian