Re: Izuzu starter

To: gmapes@ball.com, vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Izuzu starter
From: JWoesvra@aol.com
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 13:05:36 EDT
In a message dated 98-07-21 16:46:18 EDT, gmapes@ball.com writes:

<< OK - what is the advantage Izuzu starter for a 1275 vs the lucas unit?
 Is it weight, price or what?
 Thanks
 Glenn Mapes >>

All kidding aside, there are several valid reasons:

1. Cost?: Lucas rebuilt; about $60.
              Early Isuzu; about $79.
              Late Isuzu; about $99.
              Tilton; about $275.

2. Weight?: Lucas and early Isuzu; about the same.
                  Late Isuzu and Tilton; slightly less.

3. Availability?: Lucas and Tilton; generally mail order only, one to five
days.
                       Isuzu; over the counter at any auto parts store.
There's usually one near race track, right? And you have a core that they will
accept.

4. Torque (cranking power): Lucas (whimpy at best)
                                        Early Isuzu (will crank an XKE)
                                        Tilton and Late Isuzu (even better)

5. Originality?:  Who's going to check your starter?

For those of you that have "70 British cars, etc. with never a Lucas related
problem, blah, blah, blah"     I can only say that racin' is differn't than
regular drivin'.     Lucas stuff disinigrates on race cars. (Lucas fuel
injection eccepted).

Also, the Lucas starter in question has a centrifugal bendix which can (and
usually will) kick out just when the motor starts to fire. The Isuzu starter
has a solenoid activated bendix which holds until you let off on the switch.
This is in my opinion the major advantage. You can keep cranking until a
stubborn engine is fully going.

By the way, the eary Isuzu is a direct drive unit (cranks faster) while the
later one has a reduction gear (slower but more torque).

You purests can continue to suffer the pleasures on originality.
I commend you.
I just have better things to do than worry about starter problems.

Jack Woehrle