Re: Sports Racer rules

To: "Brian Evans" <brian@uunet.ca>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Sports Racer rules
From: "Graeme Sutherland" <graeme@pixelfusion.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 16:12:52 +0100

+ Any ideas?  I'm interested in finding out about both FIA/European rules,
and
+ the equivalent SCCA rules for the period.  I'm curious about things like
+ wheel and tire size restrictions, weights, etc., and also about little
known
+ things like spare tires, luggage capacity, and so on.

    Brian, the FIA rules are probably more restrictive in terms of what
alterations can be made to the car when compared to the SVRA regulations. In
general, only modifications that were run in period in an international
event (by a works team?) are allowable.

    The FIA publish sets of homologation papers for every legal car, and
these describe all legal components, dimensions, wheel sizes, and other
modifications that can be carried out. Here in the UK, there is a second
paper that details the necessary safety equipment, and general information
concerning racing a historic car. I've got a feeling that the Merlyn is a
mid sixties car, and as such will require a fire extinguisher (probably
plumbed in), electrical cut-off switch, and either a four or six point roll
cage. The FIA does have a website, which may have some information, the URL
is:

    http://www.fia.com

    According to information on the site, you'd want to speak to either the
American Automobile Association (http://www.aaa.com) or the Automobile
Competition Committee For the United States (ACCUS).

    The advantage of building a car to the FIA specification is that it can
be raced virtually anywhere in the world, and (in general) it adds to the
value of the car when you come to sell it. The disadvantages are that it can
be expensive to source the necessary parts, and that your car may be
uncompetitive against more freely modified cars in some series.

        Graeme