DB limits

To: RodPolentz@aol.com
Subject: DB limits
From: David Laver <dlaver@ms.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 14:08:29 +0100
This must be a problem for everyone these days.  When I got my car it had two
round boxes in each pipe.  The middle boxes were replaces with fat ovals to
make a
db limit.  On the Isle of Mann I bashed them on a bump and put on straight pipes
for the rest of the events.  To drive home again the repaired silencers went
back
on but didn't seal properly and now make more racket than the straight pipes...

I spent my drive home - with ear plugs - trying to think of ways to make boxes
with straight pipes for racing but some kind of valve to perforated and baffled
byepass system within the same box.  I've also seen cars with tailpipes with
what
looks like an adjustable number of 'plugs' in the end to fine tune noise level.

Anyone managed to build an easily switchable system ?

David