Re: DB limits

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: DB limits
From: Malcolm Cox <malcox@napanet.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 22:13:17 -0700
David Laver wrote:
I've also seen cars with tailpipes with what
looks like an adjustable number of 'plugs' in the end to fine tune noise
level.

Sounds like a Supertrap.
I have a Supertrap (with all the end plates I can find, 7 or 8) fitted
to a straight pipe on my MGA.  I would swear it goes faster than open
pipe.
It also has in the past run under the Laguna Seca 90 db limit
requirements.  My valve tining is quite granny, but CR is upped now to
11.5:1

After this weekend, I will let you know if it still passes Laguna.
Before Supertrap, at Sears Point, it crackled up to 103 db on open pipe,
worst case flat in 3rd at the sound point.