Re: vintage-race-digest V1 #208 Roler rockers...

To: PaceCars@aol.com, JWoesvra@aol.com, owner-vintage-race@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: vintage-race-digest V1 #208 Roler rockers...
From: Tombread@aol.com
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 16:07:28 EST
Harold:
More as a matter of curiosity than anything else (and from my perspective as
an ex-SCCA production car racer) , aren't the notions of vintage racing, and
cheating, antithetical?  There is such a wide disparity of cars and stages of
preparation in vintage racing I would think if somebody wants to win so badly
they cheat (beyond innocent rules infractions), they ought to move over to
production cars and get out of vintage racing all together.

There are all kinds of cheating, including speed cheating, durability cheating
and safety cheating.  The first two are intended to give the cheater an
illegal edge over the competition.  The SCCA's GCR and IMSA specs, too, were
interpreted  to permit anything that specifically wasn't excluded.  The GCR
is/was a conscious attempt to level the playing field.

I thought you vintage guys raced mainly for the fun of it.  Seems to me
cheating thoroughly removes that innocent aspect of it.  And I agree with you
that rules ought to be enforced.
Tom Butters