Fwd: vintage-race-digest V1 #208 Roler rockers...

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: vintage-race-digest V1 #208 Roler rockers...
From: DWhitesdJr@aol.com
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 17:02:48 EST

--part0_916696968_boundary

From: DWhitesdJr@aol.com
To: PaceCars@aol.com
Subject: Re: vintage-race-digest V1 #208 Roler rockers...
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 17:01:19 EST

In a message dated 1/18/99 12:06:46 PM Central Standard Time, PaceCars@aol.com
writes:

<< Although I sympathize with your problem (believe me), I can't agree that
just
 because something is difficult to enforce, it should be OK.
 The trick, I would think, would be sufficient punishment (dropped from
championship, movement to exhibition group)  to reward the legal and punish
the illegal. What has been done in the past when cheaters were caught? I think
it is
 important that ALL VMC clubs come to an agreement on this and other issues.

You are right on both issues.  In the past, SVRA would pump engines and
publish the results.  Failure to correctly disclose the displacement could
result in the exclusion of that car/driver/owner from future event(s). In a
span of one year SVRA went from 50% of the engines failing to comply (many
were non-SVRA competitors running in SVRA events) to 100% compliance. Peer
pressure and sanctions will correct most of the problems, if the sanctioning
body would take the time to work creatively on the problem and expend a little
effort.  The attitude that "it is too difficult to enforce" is very short
sighted.  Make a rule, use reasonable methods to enforce it and heavily
publicize any violations to the members of the sanctioning body and with the
VMC.  That will correct the problem.

David Whiteside

PS -- It must be a holiday, I noticed the e-mail traffic went way up. ;-)

--part0_916696968_boundary--