Interior paint

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Interior paint
From: Clark Smith <clark@dnf.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 23:51:49 -0800 (PST)
Hi All,

My Porsche-Devin is getting to the point that I will soon be welding on its
new floor pan.  I have been preping all the interior steel panels while its
convenient and plan to paint the floor, tube frame and vertical surfaces in
the near future.  I have two questions:

1.  At the various events and shows I've attended, sports racer's interiors
often have a light to medium grey paint color.  Is there any "historically
correct" interor grey (I'm not kidding, here.  For all I know,  Lotus or
some other race car manufacturer chose a grey color and others followed
suit)?  Is gloss or semigloss best?  What wears well?

2.  Since a lot of you guys have probably baked in your cars on a variety
of grids, what other recommendations do you have for an interior color?
Seems like anything near black would be an oven and near white would be
blinding.  Love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,

Clark

"Hay Bales and Asphalt"
a video featuring vintage footage
of motor racing from 1957 to 1961.
Images and description at
http://www.dnf.com

My 1953 Devin-Porsche Restoration project
http://www.dnf.com/devin-porsche.html