Re: SCCA Roll Bar

To: nobozos@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: SCCA Roll Bar
From: Larry Dent <lwdent@fwi.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 08:29:43 -0500
Dont confuse a roll bar that has passed tech inspection with what we
were discussing as "An SCCA approved roll bar" as we are looking at two
different animals here.

The SCCA approved roll bars were (and still may be, I am not sure)
originaly bolt in bars that had been submitted to SCCA for design,
material, and construction approval, then the mfg sold the bars as
SCCA approved.  These bars then were automatically passed by tech
inspection with little fanfare.

Bars that were consturcted by the car builder were always subject to
much more careful inspection before a tech sticker was issued.  that
tech sticker did not indicate SCCA approval, but rather the fact that
the bar, at that event, met the minimum SCCA rules as contained in the
GCR.

Approved carries a legal connitation today that is fearsome in light of
litigation potential in todays courts.

this is not written as any official SCCA policy, only my personal
opinion as a driver and steward since 1963. (disclaimer so I dont get in
litigation over my crazy ideas)

Larry Dent