Re: Incident at Pre Historics

To: <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Incident at Pre Historics
From: Clark Smith <clark@dnf.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 23:06:54 -0700
Hi All,

I was at the race, viewing from the corkscrew.  I saw Carl go through with
the engine cover pointing straight up acting like an air brake.   I
immediately looked up at the turn workers at the base of the corkscrew and
further up at the entrance.  Both turn workers were looking right at the car
as it went through the curves so I was sure that everyone knew.  I even
thought I heard the closer turn worker speak on his headphone and then he
turned to another worker that was sitting with him.  Carl's car even
appeared to be going through the curves slowly and I remember thinking it
was weird that he didn't just pull off the track.  There were no flags
exhibited.  I assumed that the car would continue, slowly, to the pit
entrance only a few curves away.

I was absolutely shocked that no one stopped the car as it progress nearly
all the way around the track again and back to the corkscrew.  The wreck was
only a few hundred feet away from where I was standing, nearly 2.2 miles
after I had seen him go by with the problem.

I can't imagine what on earth prevented the officials from stopping him
before the accident.

Clark