Re: 2 more cents

To: Elton Clark <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Subject: Re: 2 more cents
From: Simon Favre <simon@mondes.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 11:39:55 -0700
Ditto for me. I've been towing an open trailer with a Formula Junior with
a 1991 F150 with the 4.9L six. I also carry loads of junk to the track in
the pickup bed. 65-70 MPH all day long is no big deal. I was passing big
rigs like they were standing still on the uphill grind out of Reno after
both CSRG Reno Hilton events.

4.9L is almost exactly 300 CID. The 4.9L replaced the venerable 300 CID
motor Ford had run for many years. The 300 CID motor replaced an even
older 223 CID six that powered pickups and delivery trucks. When I needed
to put a complete replacement 223 in a '57 F100, I was told by the local
rebuilder there were several hundred in stock! There was a large fleet of
bread trucks in the area that used them some 20 years after the motors
were first made.