Re: trailer stuff

To: GDavidson <geodav-lou@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: trailer stuff
From: David Laver <David.Laver@msdw.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 11:53:13 +0100
Of course it makes a difference!!   A proper nose and a taper of the roof
down to the tail will halve the Cd.  However you may then get a lot of lift
and some sudden changes in characteristics in gusty cross winds.  Smaller
'add on' things you can do to help: a deflectors on the tow vehicle ahead of
the 'blank wall'.  Something about the size of an internal door on its side
at about 45deg.  A big improvement comes from corner guides.  Little quarter
circle blades that sit about 3ins off the front corners to squirt air down
the sides and prevent such large a large vortex.  Its a while since I read
the books so figures don't come to me easily but these two things make a
surprising difference.

I find it odd that these things are ugly boxes when we all care so much
about the form and function of the thing inside.  Reminds me of the 1950's
high speed racing car transporter - a beautiful thing worthy of its cargo.
I've toyed with the idea of converting a hearse as a transport.

David