Re: Modifications (was: RE: Mechanical Failures)

To: WSpohn4@aol.com, S800Racer@aol.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Modifications (was: RE: Mechanical Failures)
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 11:08:35 -0500
Bill, that's probably the car.  it was built by Dick Baker as a
"lightweight" (the thing is god-awful heavy to push, I'll tell you!) with
flip front, flip rear, heavily modified suspension and engine relocated 16"
back in the frame.  Dick re-purchased the car and completely restored it to
the way he personally built it way back when.  Dave and Nancy Turnbull
still run a Lotus 7 Mk1, with 948 A-series.  As a production car, anyone
else wanting to run one would have to run what it "came" with, or a period
appropriate and proven alternative.

Cheers, Brian

At 10:48 AM 12/1/00 -0500, WSpohn4@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 12/01/00 7:11:05 AM Pacific Standard Time, brian@uunet.ca
>writes:
>

>>.  In the only such case that I know of, we then
>>classified the car in question (a highly modified MGA TwinCam) as a Sports
>>Racer, rather than a Production Sports Car.
>

>Was that Tony's double flip front/back lightweight racer? I know of the car,
>and wondered if it would ever make the track again.
>If so, that one seems to have the history, and it's hard to argue with
>putting it in sports racing, as that is indeed what it would have run in back
>in the 60s.
>
>Without digging through much old material, long stored away, I do recall that
>the Canadian rules were much more liberal, at least in the engine area,
>allowing carbs that would have put you into sports racing with SCCA. I don't
>recall details, but a friend ran a 948cc Lotus 7 (are there any BMC powered
>Loti running the small engines? And given the unenviable reliability record,
>and greater cost of running the smaller more volatile engines, would you want
>to force them to do so?), and could use Webers (albeit very small ones, I
>should think) in Canada and SUs in the States. Living near the border, I
>think he soon got tired of changing between races!
>
>Bill Spohn

Brian Evans
Director, Strategic Accounts
UUNET, A WorldCom Company