Re: Modifications (was: RE: Mechanical Failures)

To: brian@uunet.ca, S800Racer@aol.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Modifications (was: RE: Mechanical Failures)
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 11:22:20 EST
In a message dated 12/01/00 8:13:32 AM Pacific Standard Time, brian@uunet.ca
writes:

> Bill, that's probably the car.  it was built by Dick Baker as a
> "lightweight" (the thing is god-awful heavy to push, I'll tell you!) with
> flip front, flip rear, heavily modified suspension and engine relocated 16"
> back in the frame.  Dick re-purchased the car and completely restored it to
> the way he personally built it way back when.

Interesting car, but I don't think I'd have been doing that to a Twincam,
even in the dark years when they were regarded as a pain!

 Dave and Nancy Turnbull

> still run a Lotus 7 Mk1, with 948 A-series.  As a production car, anyone
> else wanting to run one would have to run what it "came" with, or a period
> appropriate and proven alternative.

A lot of early Loti were upgraded to run what could have been used later in
the 60s and 70s. I'd just as soon see a Lotus owner be allowed to use a 1275,
as have to spend money on special forged billet cranks and Accusumps, but to
each his own.

Maybe my generous attitude stems from the fact that my MGA can 'top-end' just
about any Lotus because of those air dams they call front fenders......

Bill