Re: Police Driving - was Re: Successful pass

To: "Walt Boeninger" <Walt@chekov.mayfield.hp.com>
Subject: Re: Police Driving - was Re: Successful pass
From: "Bryan Appleby" <bappleby@concentric.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 11:49:03 -0700
Walt, you are correct.  It does set a bad example and it is unsafe.  It is a
proven statistic that Police are more often injured and or killed in a motor
vehicle accident/incident, that by gunfire.

I can't speak for all states. But most states,  including Colorado, do
exempt Police officers.  The statue continues to allow delivery persons
after their first and last delivery of their day/route (how you can define
this is beyond me).  The logic for police is to allow the officers that are
concerned with being caught with their "Sam Brown Belt" or better known as
their gun belt.  It happens, in fact often.  With practice, an officer can
alleviate this problem by "handling" the belt as it retracts upon exiting.

Two other things are important though.  Seat belts save lives, even cop's.
When they are properly used.  Also, in Colorado, Workman's Compensation will
not cover you, if you are involved in an accident that the injuries/fatality
is attributable to non use of a seat belt.  Many police agencies, for this
reason require, by policy, that a seat belt will be used.

Police, as a rule, are to be held to a higher standard and should wear their
seat belts too.

The passing information is good too follow.  Same things should be
considered when you see anyone, including police officers, stopped on the
shoulders and pull into the passing lane, when it is safe to do so.  This
gives everyone a safer cushion of distance when we are passing.  Especially
when pulling our large car trailers.

Bryan Appleby
Colorado State Patrol, Retired
SCCA-NorCal-SCOA-SAAC-RMVR
65  Shelby Cobra Comp
65  Sunbeam Tiger/289
50  GMC 3500 5 Window Deluxe
99  Ford F350 Dually/Crew Cab 4X4 Powerstroke
60  Neglected Wife that tolerates a Vintage Racer and Collector

From: Walt Boeninger <Walt@chekov.mayfield.hp.com>