RACER SUPPORT FOR TRACK OPPOSITION?

To: "Bell" <twobells@erols.com>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: RACER SUPPORT FOR TRACK OPPOSITION?
From: "Eric Swanger" <ericsmgs@prodigy.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 00:48:41 -0400
Has anyone ever given any thought to support of the opposed track by direct
participation in the community by the home SCCA region & visiting racers?
Would it be possible for local regions of tracks in danger (and not) to help
by starting, say, a scholarship fund for the local community?  I mean, after
all, we racers are not only the greasy fingernail crowd, but are also
lawyers, engineers, accountants, business people, doctors, etc.  This could
possibly show affected communities our support to them for being gracious
enough to tolerate our presence on weekends, etc.  How about a fund for
community improvement?  What about "Adopt a HIghway", complete with road
sign and all?  I think often that track owners end up fighting these battles
themselves and then we all lose.  Maybe we should be proactive at all tracks
and not wait until trouble starts.

Eric Swanger