Re: Operating Budget

To: <Erichreich@aol.com>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Operating Budget
From: "Donald Queen" <donqueen@Inreach.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 14:03:56 -0800
It's a little frightening to actually sit down with a pen and paper to
calculate the actual costs, but look at these figures for a typical race
weekend with my 56 Alfa;

Race Entry (average)            $300
Race Fuel  15 gall @ $5           75
Tire Expense                         200
Brake Pads & Shoes               25
Motel   (2 nites)                     150
Food                                      50

That's $800 if nothing breaks, and something will eventually - SO, factor in
AT LEAST  $200 per race for an engine rebuild, clutch, etc. and you'll see
why $1000 a race is a conservative estimate of what this sport costs.

I know, you can sleep on the ground and pack a two day supply of sandwiches,
but you can also blow an engine or a hit a wall.

Now you can see why none of us want to discuss the subject, it's too damn
depressing.

Don Queen