Operating budget

To: <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Operating budget
From: "Kerry Seibert" <ckchapel@fast.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 22:40:57 -0500
or the old joke about how to make a small fortune in auto racing . . . . . .
.

Erich - I think Don has it just about right.  Maybe a little more for
accommodations, food, tow vehicle gas, misc.  I did four events last year
and spent a total of $5000. My wife and I do "splurge" and spend our nights
at a nice B&B and treat ourselves to good meals (keeps my "crew" happy!)  I
consider myself lucky that I think this was done in "ideal conditions", ie
nothing broke. A mechanical malady could bring heartache.  I do try to put
away a little extra every year for any future "budget buster".  I bought new
tires at the beginning of the year and a new oil cooler. Luckily the only
other things I bought were oil, filter, brake fluid.  I do do all of my own
service work and prep, probably spending at least 30 hours over and under
the car between events, time well-spent.  For someone like me with a limited
"budget" and time, it would be catastrophic to tow 10 hours somewhere and be
felled by something simple you should have caught at home.  You certainly
can't insure 100% bullet-proof-ness but you can get the odds somewhat in
your favor.  Anyway . . .I don't know if a budget is really possible?  If
you want to do it, and you enjoy doing it, and the family is comfortable
with it . . . . .then do it. I think most of us will have our "limits" be
they financial, emotional, whatever.  Stay below these and have a ball!

Cheers, Craig Seibert      1968 Morgan +8   car no.611    "Duff Morgan
Racing"

PS One thing you DON'T want to do is to figure out your cost/mile or
cost/lap.  It'll make you nuts!