Re: 13/13 and 7/10

To: Jim Hayes <hayes@mediaone.net>
Subject: Re: 13/13 and 7/10
From: Mike Rosen <mikerosen@home.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 12:04:50 -0400
Jim Hayes wrote:

> True. So why complain about over preparation. Let them run with the
> sports racers.
>
> Peter van Rossum wrote:
> >
> > SCCA rules, I Think Refer to this as sports racers it is all ready covered
> > in the handy dandy GCR  P.V.R.

Jim:
I've been mulling this over since Friday. Just to throw in my .12 Canadian, .02
US.
We've seen a problem develop up here when racers have fallen back on this; "Let
them run with the
sports racers" ...it's the same problem that arises with club
"points/awards/race series".

Disregard for any given set rules and regulations set by any organization,
which could go all the way from innocent ignorance to outright cheating,
becomes acceptable...the only penalty being to "bump them up a class". All this
reclassification does is makes the offender push the rules even more to be
triumphant in the new class.  Vintage Racing as a sport is the loser.

Hell, I want to finish ahead of the cars on the track with me as much as the
next guy... and I know that everyone of our cars is better prepared with better
quality tires etc. than when they orginally raced ( as an example; when running
as HP in the early 60's, the fastest a Bugeye went around Mosport was
2:02-2:05. Now, 948 Sprites all can run  1:51-1:56) But my point is that even
though every car is faster, if well prepped and well driven, the finishing
order should be about the same as it was 40 yrs ago.  If a Sprite outruns a
Lotus7, something is very wrong...something that a class change doesn't
address, merely hides.

Plus... as a guy with a vintage, under 1L sports racer, I don't necessarily
want these people as my trackmates.

Mike
(And never forget the old saying; "I know he's cheating because I'm cheating
and he's beating me")