Re: Girls in racing

To: "clark@dnf.com" <clark@dnf.com>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Girls in racing
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 09:39:53 -0400
>The big question I have to answer for myself as I go on is: will I be
>exposing her to this stuff for my benefit or am I just fulfilling her
>interest and providing her with a good day.  My wife has already given me
>the "she's not your little buddy" lecture.

I didn't reply before, as I have no daughters (or son's) and no prospects
for any - don't really like children until they're old enough to move away
from home (big :) ).  My idea of commitment to a dependant is to own a
cat!  But I've seen some families at the race track that so totally go
against the "she's not your little buddy" concept that I had to speak
up.  Phil Lamont and his daughter Diana leapt straight to my mind.  If she
doesn't think of her dad as her buddy and vice-versa, then I'm
hornswoggled.  Hell, she busts tires for him - if that's not the action of
a buddy, then I don't know what is!  Same goes with a number of
father-daughter teams that I see in the pits at races.  No bets on who's
driving either - the mix is about even as to father gets to wrench or
drive.  To hell with the lecture - any day your daughter thinks you're her
buddy has got to be a good day...

Brian
Brian Evans
Director, Canada