Re: Girls in racing

To: john.r.hildebrand@us.pwcglobal.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Girls in racing
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 15:09:08 EDT
In a message dated 04/04/01 11:04:52 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
john.r.hildebrand@us.pwcglobal.com writes:

> I think Fred Yeakel (sp?), who has a Cheetah, was at a vintage race at
> Laguna last year with his daughter.  Or at least I think it was his
> daughter.  The interesting part is that Fred was wrenching and his daughter

That's the rotter (and the Corvette) that gave me one of my best races in my
MGA Twincam at Portland years ago, before he bought the Cheetah. I was
slightly faster in terms of times, but of course couldn't get by him under
braking without going over or through him. Every lap at the hairpin in front
of the stands, I'd be inches from his rear, waiting for him to make a mistake
(he didn't), and then he'd point for me to pass, no doubt chortling into his
Nomex, as he planted his right foot and motored off.

Hell of a nice guy, and I'm glad to hear his daughter has kept up the
tradition. Maybe if I ever get my MGA back on the track, I'll get a crack at
her. Only problem is that in my experience, the lady driver's are, if
anything, more even and reliable drivers than the men, perhaps being less
taken to bouts of red fog after being passed. Which would mean that SHE
wouldn't likely let me by either.  Damn it!

Bill Spohn