Re: Girls in racing

To: <clark@dnf.com>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Girls in racing
From: "David Bondon" <david.bondon@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 13:57:02 -0400
Clark,

Finally, a question I am qualified to answer!

Not only have I raced with my daughter, I have raced with my son too!

It all started too long ago to remember but they would probably tell you it
had something to do with bouncing around Northern California in our Morgan
when they were only 4 and 7 years old. We even brought the Basset Hound
sometimes.

In those days I had the dream of racing some day but made an agreement with
myself to be sure their college was taken care of before I risked my neck in
a race car. Once that was behind us I started vintage racing and the kids
just came along because the kids always came along no matter what we did.
(we moved so often that there were no friends or relatives to leave them
with). Gradually (and I guess inevitably) our entire circle of friends grew
to include just about every Morgan nut in the world along with some of the
other vintage characters that you all know.

My son (named Morgan) was a great athlete so I would never let him in a race
car during college. I think the reasoning went something like "one way to
break your leg is enough!" I stuck him in a proven Morgan race car after he
graduated and he showed real promise. (beat me in his first race) However,
he brought his intense competitive spirit with him and ended up giving it up
when the bills exceeded his salary.

Then one day my daughter Stacey asked me if she could try racing. Caught me
completely off guard! She really didn't want to go as fast as the Morgan
went so we found an ex SCCA 948 Sprite, put Jeff Gordon's number on it, and
the rest is history. She is in her fifth year now and has never put a
scratch on the car.  I have to tell you it was one of the biggest thrills of
my life when HSR combined our groups at Daytona and we went side by side
around that banking!

To sum it all up I am getting to the point where I enjoy being crew chief
more than I do driving but we all still have a great time together with our
friends at the track. She even met here husband at a party given by one of
our racing friends!

So bring your daughter along, there is nothing any more exciting that is
legal! (and I don't see anything wrong with the fact that both my kids are
my "buddies")

SuperDave Bondon
Morgan #72