Re: New to the sport.

To: "Sandy McCullough" <smccullough@quixnet.net>,
Subject: Re: New to the sport.
From: Bob Spruck <bspruck@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 22:54:39 -0400
Sandy:
Who you race with depends on how you want to prepare your car and how you
want to race. As one who has raced with SVRA, HSR, and VDCA over the past
ten years, I prefer the style of racing now offered by VDCA. They have
reasonable entry fees, free enduros, great parties, Southeast venues, LOTS
of track time, and a great and friendly attitude. Because they are new and
relatively unknown, the grids are rather sparse, but that is a good thing
if you want to learn, develop your car and yourself, and have fun. If you
want out and out racing with over-prepared cars and don't mind racing with
Porsches and replicars, and non-period prepared cars, then HSR is for you.
They are expensive, charge extra for enduros, let anything into your class,
sometimes seem to be more interested in the almighty $$$ than in happy
vintage racers. SVRA is someplace in between. They are now part of HSR, so
some "creep" is expected by most of us. Their rules are al little more
strict and period authentic than HSR's. More of HSR will probably rub off
on SVRA that SVRA will rub off on HSR.
Preparing a car to VDCA specs will also meet the rules for the other two
groups, although you might not be competitive against  the level of prep of
the typical HSR car. Preparing the car to HSR specs will not qualify you
for SVRA or VDCA. If you are just starting out in vintage racing with a new
driver and a new car, I would go the conservative route and race with VDCA.
That way you'll get lots of track time for a great price, time and help0 to
develop your car, all Southeast venues (6 races a year).
Hope to see you out there.
Bob