Re: Devin Car

To: <AMQJR@aol.com>, <cdoerge@bellatlantic.net>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Devin Car
From: "Ron Yates" <dipstickdigest@ctaz.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 23:29:28 -0700
    I had to look at this car also, and I would have concour. It does have a
Healey chassis (6 cyl. variety) which makes no sense when looking at the
time put into a tube cockpit perimeter cage and, although the photo isn't
that clear, what appears to be a corvette rear end hanging on the back end.

    I would think if you were going to go to that effort you could come up
with an overall chassis design - made from tube - that would better
facillitate newer suspension bits, and create a better, stronger, more
performance worthy chassis. The Healey chassis, while a reasonable road
chassis in the fifties, isn't one I would want to turn into a
perfomance/race car after that period.

    Huffaker's first special (1955) was derived from a Healey chassis with a
big difference. he connected the front suspension to an independent rear
suspension using tube between the two. His next special (the Devin Bodied
one shown in the Hot Rod photo) , was, again, made from tube with a more up
to date front end, and again had a similar rear end treatment, was corvette
powered, predated the Scarab and was very fast!.

    This car (e-bay) looks like it may have been begun somewhat later than
the "vintage" it would have you believe. Had it ever been completed it most
certainly copuld not have been anywhere near competitive; considering what
it would have had to run with.

    Bottom line to all this, from the vintage standpoint, is there are way
to many red flags waving their little hearts out.

Ron