Last ditch fogging solution

To: Vintage <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Last ditch fogging solution
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 14:25:34 -0500
If you really want/need to solve a fogging problem, there is a fairly
guaranteed solution.  It's a PITA, but it works.  I use this when I have to
snow-blow my driveway in the middle of a howling blizzard and I wear my
helmet to let me see...

You put your helmet on, and you take several strips of racer-tape (colour
coordinated optional) and completely seal off the gap between your face and
the lower edge of the helmet visor opening just below your eyes and above
your nose.  You don't have to actually tape the helmet to your face,
although that works best.  You do have to get just about no gap between
your face and the helmet.  This keeps all of your breath away from both
your glasses and the visor.  You can buy similar masks for motorcycling in
cold weather, but that takes planning - everybody always has racer tape!

I used this trick for the first time when I did a F2000 school at St.
Jovite in October a few years ago.  It literally snowed while we were
running laps, and I was so badly fogged up I couldn't run.

Brian

At 11:48 AM 11/8/01, Mike Henry wrote:
>As a "Simpson head" I agree with the comments regarding helmet fit, trying on
>helmets is the only way to know.  I also prefer a  closed helmet, and thick
>yellow lexan shield, which contrasts the racing surface and also helps me see
>oil/water.
>One year, as a new driver, I decided to buy a size too small, and let it
>"adjust" to my head.  After a few races (and the pain had subsided) it really
>did fit well!...seemed like such a good idea at the time, I had heard the
>pro's had custom fitted helmets and that was my solution!  The fact is, after
>only a few races the liner will adjust to your "custom noggin", so you do want
>to start with a fairly firm fit so it doesn't loosen up too much. Your head
>should not be able to move around inside the helmet at all. I've noticed some
>helmets use a fairly thick soft liner, makes them feel comfy but I could
>wiggle the helmet almost off my head with the chin strap cinched down.
>As for replacing the helmet frequently, it is pretty expensive, but it seems
>like after 2 years or so it's pretty well beat up from rocks and stuff (open
>wheel) and besides, they get lighter every year which is a lot nicer on the
>neck.
>
>I haven't figured out how to keep my glasses from fogging up either, anti-fog
>stuff helps, and keeping the visor open a bit helps too. Seems like the helmet
>design funnels exhaled air upwards, if you breathe from your mouth try
>breathing through your nose.  I have a pair of frames that were demo'd to me
>by twisting them nearly double, seems like some kind of spring steel, or
>unobtainium. They sure get twisted around getting them inside the helmet and
>trying to get them over my ears is always a struggle, but they still work
>better than anything else I've had.
>
>Mike Henry
>
>///
>///  vintage-race@autox.team.net mailing list