Re: Definitions: Alphabet Soup

To: "Phil Buttolph" <pb1@humboldt.edu>
Subject: Re: Definitions: Alphabet Soup
From: "Don Queen" <donqueen@Inreach.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 11:29:21 -0800
It's a mess. Particularly here on the West Coast.

As soon as you figure out the rules someone changes them. SOVREN is more
strict than CSRG, HMSA has loosened up. God knows what HSR and VARA will
allow. General Racing talks a purist game.

Depending upon your home base, I'd advise that you go with the CSRG standard
which is "a point in time" In other words, if a modification was available
and approved for SCCA competition up to 1967, you can do it.

Use the proper block, avoid roller rockers, flares, oversized wheels and
slicks. Keep some of the original interior, door panels, try to use some of
the original instruments, avoid high back modern drivers seats, keep a
second stock seat in place, install a fuel cell and fire system as modern as
you can afford but don't make it look like a NASCAR clone inside.

Your drum brakes are an issue. CSRG will allow you to convert to a 65-66
Vette disc system, I can't speak for SOVREN. In either case avoid modern
braking systems.

When in doubt, keep it stock. You'll always find someone to run with and
you'll have a great time in mid-pack.

See you at the track,
Don Queen