Re: Choice of wheels

To: brian@uunet.ca
Subject: Re: Choice of wheels
From: JWoesvra@aol.com
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 15:38:18 EST
In a message dated 11/29/01 12:19:42 PM Pacific Standard Time, brian@uunet.ca
writes:

> , but that doesn't relieve a scrutineer of the responsibility to do the best
> job he can...and I don't have any personal experience with wire wheels to
> draw on.

That also is true, however............

As far as the wire wheels: broken or loose spokes obviously, a tire iron will
find those just by running it around the spokes. Some drivers resist that
because it "chips the paint"! Most failures actually occur because water has
gotten inside the rim and rusted the ends off the spokes from the inside.
Rust streaks may show, but many drivers unknowingly clean this off or have it
done my a detailer. Therefore it dosen't show at tech.

I think anyone running wire wheels should break them down (tires off) at
least once a year. If all looks well then a good cleaning and repaint is in
order. I don't know what a proper spoke replacement cycle would be. Dayton
Wheels or someone like that might have a better description of proper
maintenance.

jw