Re: Choice of wheels

To: mgvrmark@hotmail.com, brian@uunet.ca, WSpohn4@aol.com,
Subject: Re: Choice of wheels
From: Tombread@aol.com
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 16:18:39 EST
Mark:
I never used factory disc wheels; originally I bought some very expensive mag
wheels from GB (not Minilites) that were resoundingly ugly; I relegated them
to the rain tires and got American aluminums as they became available.  When
I had a wreck with the MGA at IRP-- its last race with me driving--  I was
hit by a Mini and it tore the center out of the wheel.

I saw a few fellows with welded up steel wheels on their MGAs but never tried
them.  In SCCA production racing you could run with as wide a wheel/tire
combo as you could get under the original fender; the factory stock wheels
were narrower and had less offset then the aftermarket ones I bought.
 Because of their ridigity they probably transmitted more shock load to the
suspension, but as I recall they were lighter than wire wheels and thus less
unsprung weight.  I think about this time (1970) the SCCA outlawed wire
wheels, making the issue moot ....

Tom Butters
Greens Fork Group
Creative Communications