Re: Choice of wheels

To: "Mark Palmer" <mgvrmark@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Choice of wheels
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 14:40:30 -0500
Do you replace the entire wheel set (all four wheels) outright every 30 -
40 races?  Or can you usefully have them rebuilt?  What are the warning
signs that a scrutineer type might look for when examining wire
wheels?  Where do the cracks first occur on the steel disc wheels?

On the brakes, is there any particular trick to getting drum brakes to work
well, or is it a matter of selecting the right linings and then doing
fairly routine maintenance?  Part of my aversion to drums in front is the
charred, destroyed linings I've seen come out of some drum brakes, and the
frustration of the owner when he's just paid big bucks to have them relined
with supposedly guaranteed good material.  If I can learn more about them,
then perhaps I can respond more intelligently when people are having
troubles getting their drum brakes to work well.

I've got to admit I'm prejudiced against four wheel drums by a few early
Corvettes that I've raced against - they sure scared the crap out of me a
few times when they did things on the track that I totally didn't
expect.  My problem, for sure, but they didn't look very fun to drive!

Brian