Re: Carillo failures?

To: vinttr4@geneseo.net, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Carillo failures?
From: Billd13@aol.com
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 21:06:00 EDT
It doesn't matter what brand name is on the rod when you over rev the engine
the forces due to acceleration can exceed the design limitations of any part.
A perfect example of reaching the limit without the catastrophic failure
occurred on a 390 FE Ford engine I built for a guy last year.  It was over
revved to some number and began to make bad noises, so he took it easy and
drove it home-100 miles! When we disassembled the engine we found 2 rods that
were twisted about 15 degrees and were almost .100" longer than the other 6.
These were stock 390 rods which are actually smaller than the rods in my Boss
302. we figure he got the engine to about 6300 or so since stock FE's were
only supposed to go to about 5000. We got to build the engine a second time
for a second helping of his money.

Bill Dalton