RE: FW: [Fwd: 1967 Triumph GT6]

To: <KLynch7589@aol.com>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: FW: [Fwd: 1967 Triumph GT6]
From: "Hugh Barber" <tr6nut@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 16:13:05 -0800
Actually, I need to clarify/retract the previous statement.  I looked at
Pierce's listings and they show the SAME part number for all GT6 and "late"
TR6.  This is most definitely a mistake on their part, as that manifold will
not fit the GT6 unless you want a large hole in the bonnet.  The Redline
Weber app chart
http://www.redlineweber.com/html/Aplication_guide/TRIUMPH.htm shows
different kits for early TR6, late TR6, and GT6, but has the ominous "note"
under GT6 that "must cut hood on GT6".  I have a Weber Carb Conversion Kit
catalog from the mid-80's that shows a part number K143 for the GT6 DCOE
conversion, but notes "Modify hood for clearance".  So, having said all
that, I still stand by my statement that a special three piece manifold is
needed to PROPERLY install Webers on a GT6.  I have actually seen a set of
these manifolds at a (now out-of-business) place called Dolfin Coventry
Conversions in Mountain View, Ca in the mid 1970's.  Grassroots Motorsports
had a good article on the GT6 and vintage racing in their September 2002
issue (contact them for back issues).  There is a picture on page 70 of that
issue that clearly shows the three piece manifold.  The VARA racer is named
Steve Smith and he runs triple DCOEs on his car.  Don't know his contact
info - maybe someone else on the list does.

Hugh Barber
Hollister, CA