Re: enclosed car trailer manufacturers

To: "Vintage Race Net" <vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net>, <dmeadow@juno.com>,
Subject: Re: enclosed car trailer manufacturers
From: "Carl McLelland" <carlynneracing@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 20:05:18 -0800
Chuck,
I've got an Interstate trailer. The box is 16ft by 8 1/2ft. Total length is
19ft 8 1/2 inches. It's rated 7000# gross with about a 4500# useable load. It
tows behind either my Dodge Ram pickup or 31ft Allegro motorhome like it's not
even there. As with any trailer though, loading is important to get proper
tongue weight. It comes standard with one interior light, a roof vent and rear
lights for night time loading. The interior walls are paneled. I 'improved' my
interior with 12 volt and 110 volt lighting and a stereo system, as well as
workbench and cabinetry.

I've pulled it about 10,000 miles now with no problems whatsoever. I think its
cost (list) was $4,600.00. I purchased it at Trailers Plus in Yerington, NV,
(they advertise in Sports Car), however I doubt your going to drive out from
the 'other coast' to save a few hundred on a trailer..

I can certainly 'relate' to your open trailer woes. Many of the tracks I race
on dictate traveling I-80 over Donner Summit. I think I can count on one hand
the number of times I haven't encountered rain or snow over Donner with the
open trailer, resulting in the car looking like you just completed the Mint
400 off-road race or Baja 1000 when you arrive at the track. Not only is your
car protected from the elements, it's protected from "prying eyes and sticky
fingers", and with a little ingenuity and work you can set up a nice, if
simple workbench and storage cabinets inside. Be aware of getting a trailer
that is too big though. If you've got a 24ft box you'll find all kinds of junk
to fill the trailer with.

Lastly, when it's cold and windy and/or raining and your looking at several
very nice steaks the wife brought to bar-b-q, the workbench in your spiffy new
trailer is the perfect place to set that portable gas bar-b-q to cook your
steaks in warm, wind free, element free comfort!!

Good luck,
    Carl        Lotus 61 FF