RE: Safety Braker

To: "'Dick Sparta'" <dick_sparta@yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: Safety Braker
From: "Hugh Barber" <tr6nut@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 10:49:54 -0700
 Dick,

The "Safety Braker" was an add-on device that appeared in the early 70's.
It was sort of a poor-man's ABS - but its not really an ABS system, as there
are no sensors to detect lock up.  Its purpose was to dampen "pulsations"
that, according to the manufacturer, occur just before brake lock up and in
effect stop/inhibit brake lock up.  The manufacturer's instructions said
that if you only used one, you should install it in the front brake line,
but recommended two (one for front/one for rear).  As I recall, in 1973,
they retailed for about $70 each.  My Dad installed a set in his Jaguar
racer in the early 70's and in fact, still is using them today.  I don't
think that SCCA ever "recommended" them, but in fact just approved their
use.  Safety Brakers are mention in the car prep book "How to Make Your Car
Handle".  The original company went bye-bye, but a similar device is
marketed today by a company called Brake Guard Systems.  They market their
product to Motorhomes and RVs, but have run afoul of the FTC and NHTSA for
improperly referring to their product as an ABS system.
http://www.4x44u.com/pub/k2/am4x44u/truck_stop/parts/bguard.htm

Hope this helps,

Hugh Barber