RE: Safety Braker

To: "Hugh Barber" <tr6nut@sbcglobal.net>,
Subject: RE: Safety Braker
From: "Ryan, Richard" <RRyan@frk.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 20:20:06 -0700
We raced a Datsun 2000 in D Production in the mid 1970s.  I put 2 Safety
Brakers on it after the first year and the braking performance improved
drastically.  Then we raced an SCCA Vee for a few years and it had them also.

10++ years ago we bought an RCA Formula Vee to vintage race.  It had 2 Safety
Brakers on it and I left them on.  Braking is one of my (few) (or maybe only)
strong points and I can usually out brake all the other Vees.  I can honestly
say that I have never had a wheel lock up under braking with them on the cars.
They have saved a lot of flat spotted tires.

That reminds me of a great Mario Andretti line.  When asked about how hard he
uses the brakes, Mario replied, "If your eyeballs ain't rubbing on your visor,
you ain't braking hard enough."

Dick Ryan  650-312-4022  (24022)
Director of Risk Management
Franklin Templeton Investments