Re: Tires for racing Spridgets

To: franks97@verizon.net
Subject: Re: Tires for racing Spridgets
From: dmeadow@juno.com
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 06:21:10 -0500
David,

Unfortunately there aren't a lot of choices and the options seem to
shrink every year.

Spridget racers in CVAR (Texas) tend to use Kumho V700s.

See
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=ECSTA+V7
00.  The Tire Rack site doesn't list the size, but they are available in
a 175/60R13.

Recently Kumho supposedly changed the compound and construction of these
tires to go from an H rating to a V.  I haven't seen any of the V rated
tires, yet, so I don't know how that might have affected the handling.
Supposedly it means a stickier compound and a stiffer sidewall.

We really like the Kumhos.  I've never used the Hoosiers, so I can't
compare to them for you.  The Kumhos run about $85 apiece if you have a
tire place where you can get a decent discount versus (I think) about
$125 or so for the Hoosiers.  If you run 7 to 10 events per year you'll
find you'll need a new set about 3/4 through the season, depending on the
tracks you run and how hard they are on tires.

Another option is the Yokohama A032R.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=ADVAN
+A032R

They cost about the same as the Kumhos and last about as long.  However,
they don't perform as well in the wet.  Also, Yokohama now only provides
their "soft" compound in the Spridget size.  I recently bought a couple
of sets of the soft Yokohamas when I couldn't get the Kumhos.  They were
awful on a short, tight track.  Supposedly the soft compound was designed
for autocross racers who never really get heat in their tires.  They are
sticky early on, but get very greasy towards the end of the race.  They
weren't as bad on a longer track in cooler weather, though, so they might
not be as bad for you in the NW.  I've got a couple of used sets I'd sell
you. :)

Let us know what you end up with and how they compare with the Hoosiers.
How long do the Hoosiers last, typically?  They may actually be more
economical if you can get a full season out of them?

Best,
David Littlefield
1974 MG Midget "The Gnat"