Re: Sputtering

From: jarrid_gross(at)juno.com
Date: Thu Oct 23 1997 - 20:48:21 CDT

On Thu, 23 Oct 1997 13:23:01 -0700 Steve Robbins <stever(at)ebicom.net>
writes:

>I will try to take a look. May not work, because when the situation
>occurs, you have to keep your foot in the gas. If you take your foot
>off the gas the engine dies flat. If this is it, what do I need to
>replace?
>
>Steve

If it were a sticking piston, most likely it would be just a new set
of diaphragms, and a jet centralization procedure.

Strombergs are super easy to rebuild, so going the extra mile
may be worth it.

Consider bringing along a surrogate driver the next time you feel
inclined to break down.
Keep the throttle jus open enough to keep the engine running while
you pull of to the side.

Also, you could put your finger inside the hot, but unrunning
engine carb, and manually slide the piston across it stroke
range. It should feel smooth, and not stick anywhere.
Allow the piston to drop on its own, you should here a firm
click as the piston hits its stop.

Jarrid