P76 Crankshaft

To: buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: P76 Crankshaft
From: dkern@napanet.net (David Kernberger)
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 20:24:57 -0800
2/2/99

        Does anyone know of a source for a Leyland P76 crankshaft?  Any
idea of cost?  It may be a hair-brained scheme, but I want to use it in a
3.9 liter (241 c.i.) Rover block with whatever combination of pistons and
rods is possible.  I do know the main bearings are 2.5" instead of 2.3".  I
want to use Buick 300 heads because of bigger valves and larger combustion
chambers (54 cc instead of Rover's normal 36 cc).  Also, I have the Buick
300 heads but no Rover heads.  I do, however, have several Buick 215 heads
with 37cc combustion chambers.  I would like to achieve about 8.5 : 1
compression ratio so I could use ordinary fuel.  I'm probably nuts but what
else is new?

        TIA

Dave Kernberger